As modern medicine continues to improve every day, people are living longer and healthier lives. That also means that the number of individuals 65 years and older is increasing. An aging population needs specific services, which is why the need for affordable senior housing on our islands is growing. Ranging from independent living to 24-hour care, a number of senior housing options can help to make home safe and accessible for seniors.
There are different options for housing that are specific to different aging needs. Here’s a brief review:
Adult Residential Care Homes (ARCH)
Residential care homes are licensed by the state, but not certified for Medicare. These homes include meals, safety and other basic services. Some ARCHs can help seniors who are sick or have disabilities, thanks to 24-hour staff who provide therapy programs, medication management, exercise and activities. Expanded ARCHs are adult residential facilities licensed to admit individuals who may require a higher level of nursing care.
Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNF)
Skilled nursing facilities or nursing homes are places that care for people who don’t need to be in a hospital but cannot receive the care they need at home. Nursing homes have nursing aides and nurses 24 hours a day. Staff can provide rehabilitation services, as well as speech, occupational and physical therapy. SNFs can be freestanding or associated with assisted living communities to provide a comprehensive continuum of care for residents.
Assisted Living Communities (ASL)
Assisted living communities are ideal for individuals who are ambulatory and need assistance with daily care, but not nursing-home level of care. ASLs offer assistance with activities such as housekeeping, meals, laundry and transportation, as well as personal care such as bathing, dressing and eating.
Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC)
CCRCs, also known as Life Care Communities, offer a housing option for kupuna who would like to live independently but prefer residing in a community. These retirement communities offer increasing levels of care (independent, assisted living and skilled nursing) on one campus. Residents have lifetime contracts that provide the security to remain in the same community as health needs change.
Active Independent Senior Living Communities
Senior age-restricted communities suit individuals who are independent, relatively healthy and wish to maintain their independence and privacy. Most Independent Senior Living Communities provide an environment for seniors to socialize and participate in activities and classes with their peers. Senior living communities foster wellness and promote an active lifestyle.
Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU)
An ADU is a separate attached or detached living space on a single-family home lot. This is a good option for kupuna who want to be close to family members, but still maintain some independence. It’s important to research and understand ADU laws, as there are several requirements you’ll need to meet.
Affordable Senior Housing
Eligible kupuna can take advantage of subsidized housing through government programs. These include the Public Housing, Section 202 and Housing Choice Voucher Program. This housing is typically apartment communities that offer rent at a reduced rent. The programs are based on age and income.
Oahu Senior Communities
- Arcadia Retirement Residence, 1434 Punahou Street, Honolulu, (808) 983-1722
- 15 Craigside, 15 Craigside Place Nuuanu Avenue, Honolulu, (808) 533-5437
- Hawaii Kai Retirement Community, 428 Kawaihae Street, Hawaii Kai, (808) 395-9599
- Ilima at Leihano, 739 Leihano Street, Kapolei, (808) 797-3316
- Kahala Nui, 4389 Malia Street, Kahala, (808) 218-7200
- Kalakaua Gardens, 1723 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, (808) 518-2273
- Oceanside Hawaii Assisted Living, 53-594 Kamehameha Highway, Punalu’u, (808) 293-1100
- Olaloa – Mililani, 95-1050 Makaikai Street, Mililani - Fee Simple (Contact your Locations agent)
- One Kalakaua Senior Living, 1314 Kalakaua Avenue, Makiki - Fee Simple (Contact your Locations agent)
- Plaza Assisted Living - Plaza at Punchbowl, 918 Lunalilo Street, Honolulu, (808) 937-9431
- Plaza Assisted Living – Plaza at Mililani, 95-1050 Ukuwai Street, Mililani, (808) 937-9431
- Plaza Assisted Living – Plaza at Moanalua, 1280 Moanalua Place, Honolulu, (808) 937-9431
- Plaza Assisted Living – Plaza at Pearl City, 1048 Kuala Street, Pearl City, (808) 937-9431
- Plaza Assisted Living – Plaza at Waikiki, 1812 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, (808) 937-9431
- Plaza Assisted Living – Kaneohe, 46-064 Alaloa Street, Kaneohe, (808) 937-9431
- Pohai Nani, 45-090, Namoku Street, Kaneohe, HI 96744, (808) 247-344
Senior Living Communities – Neighbor Islands
- Regency at Hualalai, 75-181 Hualalai Road, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740, (808) 329-7878
- Regency at Puakea, 2130 Kaneka Street, Lihue, Hawaii 96766, (808) 542-5849
- Roselani Place, 88 S. Papa Avenue, Kahului, Hawaii 96732, (808) 871-7720
Attend a Locations Senior Real Estate Seminar to learn more about senior housing options in Hawaii.
Congratulations, you have access to Hawaii's most comprehensive Real Estate Search! Please help us to better serve you by answering these optional questions.
This email is already registered. Click the button below and we'll send you a link to reset your password.
You have already registered using your FB account.
Check your inbox for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org. It contains a link to reset your password.
The agent who gave you access to this website is no longer with Locations LLC.
Due to local MLS regulations, you will need to re-register if you would like to continue your access.
We will pre-fill the registration form with information in our files. Once you click Register you can either select a new agent or one will be assigned for you.
Sorry for the inconvenience, Locations LLC.
Please contact your agent for access to LocationsHawaii.com.
Schedule a Virtual Tour
Request an appointment to view this property by completing the information below. Please note your appointment is not confirmed until an agent calls you.
Disclaimer: The properties we may show you may be Locations LLC listings or listings of other brokerage firms. Professional protocol requires agent to set up an appointment with the listings agent to show a property. Locations, LLC may only show properties marked "Active" and "ACS".
Keep your eye on this property! Save this listing and receive e-mail updates if the status of the property changes.
Share this property by completing the the form below. Your friend will receive an e-mail from you with a link to view the details of this property.
How can we help?
Send a message and we'll respond shortly.